[TenTec] Normal operation / abnormal operation of Ten-Tec 444,Hercules a

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Normal operation / abnormal operation of Ten-Tec 444,Hercules amp
From: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
I've got a TT 444, Hercules amp on the bench.  This
one appears to have an intact RF section - delivers
550 watts, when functioning.

However, it loves to switch itself into standby mode.
When it does so, the I/V LED illuminates.  Since it
happily does this even when it has not been keyed, and
has not had RF sent to it, and when the Ic meter has
never indicated current, it would seem it's sensing an
overvoltage.  The manual is not as clear as I'd like
on the power supply - in one place it claims it could
deliver as much as 55 volts, yet in other places, it
claims 45 volts.

The front panel meter reads 53 volts.  Can anybody
tell me what the front panel meter on their 444 reads?

I'm heading toward the notion that the 444S power
supply on this one has something failed, and it is, in
fact, delivering in excess of the desired DC voltage.
Wanted to get confirmation that my suspicions are in
the ballpark before I tore into the power supply.

TIA ES 73,

Dave W8NF
Helvetia, OR