[TenTec] LDG Jupiter and Orion internal tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] LDG Jupiter and Orion internal tuners
From: "LDG Electronics" <ldg@ldgelectronics.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:15:53 -0500
Hello everyone,

Let me give a quick update on the internal Jupiter and Orion
tuners. We've been swamped with questions this week since
the info was updated on our web site, so some common answers
will help everyone interested.

First, schedules. Both tuners are done (hardware and
software). We're writing the manuals this week. The Jupiter
will be done first, then the Orion after. There will be some
clean up work and getting the web site updated for ordering,
so it could be a few more weeks before we actually start
shipping. We may hold off on the internal tuner for the
Orion for the release of version 2.0 of the Orion firmware
just to make sure there are no compatibility issues. We may
also hold off until the Orion II is released to make sure of
compatibility.

Next, features. Originally, we started to redesign the
entire tuner, but gave up that effort in favor of keeping
the unit affordable (we wanted to keep it at $149). So the
hardware part of the internal Jupiter and Orion tuner will
be the same as the last units that we were shipping to
Ten-Tec. We did however, make some major updates to the
software. The first being the addition of memories. For both
radios, you will be able to bypass the tuner, tune from
memory and command a tune from scratch (full tune) from the
Tune button on the radio.

Memory tuning takes less than a quarter second to tune. You
have to be careful here. The memory tuning is so fast, that
you may actually miss it. We had a lot of trouble when we
introduced our first memory tuners because the tuner would
finish before you could get your finger off the button and
the user didn't think anything happened.

Since our tuners use latching relays, we added the feature
that the tuner keeps the previous match when the radio was
turned off. When you turn the radio back on, the tuner will
be in the same spot.

We also upgraded the tuning algorithms. This is probably the
biggest improvement. The new software find better matches,
faster and more often. For those that have the older
internal units, you will probably notice this the most.

Next, upgrades. Since we kept the hardware the same, many
Jupiter and Orion radios that have the latest LDG tuner
installed are upgradeable (for $25). This is simply a chip
change.

Some words on Hardware versions: LDG provided two different
versions of tuners to go in the Jupiter and Orion. Both
versions were modified PC boards based on our RT-11 remote
autotuner. Only the last version (RT-11V3.5) that we
provided will be upgradeable. The other version (V3.3G) is
not upgradeable. Also, our software upgrade is not
compatible with the current internal tuner that Ten-Tec
produces for these radios (LDG no longer produces the
internal tuners for Ten-Tec radios). I don't think there is
any way to tell which internal tuner you have without taking
the lid off and physically looking inside.

Next, installation. We received a lot of questions about how
hard it is to install. Well.... how hard or easy something
is can be relative. What may be hard for one person may be
difficult for the next. There is some soldering involved.
More on the Jupiter than the Orion. There is some
disassembly of the radio required. A lot more on the Orion
than the Jupiter. On the Orion, you will have to remove the
front panel and there are a lot of screws. The Jupiter
should take about a half hour and the Orion will take a good
hour, maybe a hour and a half. If you take your time, there
should be no problems with either. The manuals will have
complete instructions on how to install the units.

I hope this answers a lot of the questions. We've been
trying to field as many direct questions as possible, but
this should sum it up pretty well.

Dwayne Kincaid
LDG