[TenTec] FT9000 ETR available

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] FT9000 ETR available
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:02:20 -0500
         ARRL has finally completed their Expanded Test Report
for the FT9000.  Members can view it here

http://www2.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/lab/FT-DX9000D.pdf

As I expected, both BDR and IMD significantly degrade from the
5 kHz results reported in the August QST Product Review.

At 2 kHz spacings:

Radio           BDR             IMD
FT9000  114             87*
Orion           128             92

At 1 kHz spacings:

Radio           BDR             IMD
FT9000  104             70*
Orion           118             84

* Phase noise limited (NOTE: no asterisk in the
9000's BDR table could be an typo for 1 & 2 kHz
spacings since it indicates 5 kHz measurements
are phase noise limited...I don't see how phase
noise problems would disappear at even closer
spacings).

         So much for the somewhat misleading
QST statement regarding IMD..."the best we've
ever seen".  While true for 5 kHz spacings, that
is not the case  at 1 and 2 kHz spacings.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV