Re: [TenTec] Sorta OT

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sorta OT
From: "Roger Borowski" <K9RB@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:48:27 -0500
Tom, Only to those who don't know how to set a bug up properly or send CW
with one. There aren't a lot of us left but I used a bug from '61 until the
mid to latter 70's, when I finally a keyer, with TUBES! from the ARRL
Handbook and converted my bug to operate as a paddle. Did that for maybe a
half dozen years before getting my Grandmaster #484 and Bencher BY-2 paddle
that I still use today.
I took the old restored to original functions Vibroplex Blue Racer off the
shelf a couple of years ago and it took me about 1/2 hour to get used to
sending manual dashes again. Kind of like riding a bicycle, ya get a bit
rusty but never forget. Guys who didn't live through the era of bugs, and
even some who did, do definitely send with a bug "accent". If you used one
for a decade or more, you should be able to emulate a keyer. It's a matter
of properly setting the weight for the speed you are sending as well as
keeping the timing of the dahs even. Takes a bit more concentration, but
more than that, it takes the will to sound good. Then again, I can't send
well spaced CW with a keyboard! I gave up trying years ago! Pretty difficult
for an old dog to learn new tricks!
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-
A-1 Operator Club, ARRL Life Member, DXCC #1 Honor Roll Mixed, Phone, CW
since 1992 and presently need 11 more on RTTY. Need (4) more zones on 160M.
for all
(9) HF band Worked All Zones. Presently 160M DXCC 208 - Former member No.
Ill. DX Assn., long time 9th area incoming bureau sorter, Charter Member
Metro DX Club,
Life member & former Trustee Hamfester ARC - W9AA, CP-40, active 160M
through
V.H.F. / U.H.F. over 45 yrs. Bio and photos available at www.qrz.com  Also;
KG4RB