Re: [TenTec] Banana boat swing

To: <k9wwt@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Banana boat swing
From: "Tony Martin W4FOA" <w4foa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:00:07 -0500
> K9WWT wrote:
>
> There is the key to coin a phrase!  A fist one can copy.  Most times when
> I am QSOing someone with a bug with a bad swing I give up after the second
> round.

++Well I think the best way to avoid that is 1. Don't call him if he is
CQing and/or 2. Just tell him, I'm sorry I can't copy your fist.  In either
case, I think either would be appropriate and understandable.

If you are going to use a bug at least put enough effort into your sending
so the other party can copy it without racking his brain to figure out what
you are sending.  Spacing is the "key" to good sending.

++On the other side of this, I might ask why don't you put forth enough
effort to learn to copy those fists?  Yes, this is boastful, but I take
pride in saying this "if you can send it, I can copy it".  But to be honest,
I spent 35 years doing this professionally and I have run into every kind of
fist you can imagine.  Including one situation where code was whistled into
a microphone because the remote operator did not have a key.  Believe it.

 Besides a keyboard lets you multi-task!  I can load up the buffer and go
for a cup of coffe get some ice crean and maybe even say hi the the XYL all
before it is time for the next over!  And still feel the joy of a good hour
long CW QSO.

++And this is precisely why I avoid computer generated CW QSOs.  They are
without a doubt the most boring QSOs one can find....it's kind of like
talking back to a telephone recording.  If I am called by a computer CW
station, I am kind and exchange the necessary info but I can assure you, I
am gone at the first chance I get.

> Now for my second pet peeve.  A QRP signal working someone running 100
> watts or more.  One party gets solid copy while the other must strain his
> ear to even get a report.  When I go down to 1 watt and match the other
> guy's power, it is just amazing how short the QSO becomes.

++I think my thoughts in the 2nd paragraph apply equally as well here.  I am
also a QRP operator and I get a great deal of fun and pleasure out of
pulling out the weak signals.  Sometimes it is really quite interesting...a
guy using a battery powered Tuna Tin loading up his mattress springs.  It
may not be much fun trying to copy him but I can guarantee you he got a big
kick out of knowing he could be heard.

 Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in.  73 K9WWT  dit dit !

++And that is what makes this such a great hobby....we all have our own
ideas and preferences.

73 and catch you on the bands for a Computer to Cootie QSO  <grin>

Tony, W4FOA