Re: [TenTec] Oh yea, QRP - where is the challenge?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Oh yea, QRP - where is the challenge?
From: Ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:43:19 EST
In a recent message, someone wrote:

<< Now for my second pet peeve.  A QRP signal working someone running 100
 watts or more.  One party gets solid copy while the other must strain
 his ear to even get a report. >>

I've been on the receiving end of these, especially in the ARRL DX 'test
where power (for DX) is part of the exchange.  Those EU 5 watters with attic
antennas are a struggle to hear.  But, I'm glad that they are there to work.

However, I can also remember a Field Day Sunday morning when I had a 3 1/2
hour "run" on 40 SSB with lots of "big signal" compliments.  FUN!
The radio? A Ten-Tec, of course, throttled down to 5 watts.  The antenna (a
horizontal full-wave loop at 50') and location (adjacent to the York River in
the  VA tidewater region) might of had a wee bit of influence, too.

Bottom line, give QRP half a chance under the right band conditions and with
a decent antenna and it works. When band conditions are poor or the antenna
marginal, or both--then more power is nice to hear.

73, Blair K3YD