Re: [TenTec] Comments on "Repairs"

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Comments on "Repairs"
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:51:46 -0500

> Gary Hoffman wrote:
>
> >Also, a wire out the window, to a single ground rod, is likely to to a
poor
> >RF ground.  How long is the path total  ?  I bet it approaches or exceeds
> >1/4 wave at some (many ?) frequencies.  Might be an "open circuit" at RF.
> >You might have no ground at all, effectively.
> >

> That is not "a wire," it's 2" copper strap. Through the wall. 8 feet.

Ok....8 feet....allow me a little slack and call it say 3 meters.  A quarter
wave on 12 meters.  Almost a quarter wave at 15 meters.  Thus probably not a
very good ground at all on 10, 12 and 15 meters.  Probably a good enough
ground at 20 meters and longer.  (Assuming 1 rod was enough in the first
place).  That was my point.  Hint....try a second (or third and fourth if
needed) ground wire in parallel with the 8 footer that is a half wave long
at the shorter wavelengths.  This will repeat the low impedance at earth at
the radio.  Think of it as a transmission line.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ