[TenTec] Fluctuating Power Out

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion565@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TenTec] Fluctuating Power Out
From: Torrey Mitchell <torreym@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:15:10 -0600
I turned on my Orion this evening after about 4 months.  I felt a
little rusty using the controls.  I went to tune up a linear
amplifier and first noticed that the power output was
fluctuating.  Every second or two the power will decrease something
like 10-20% and bounce right up to normal.  There is no regular
rhythm to it.  The ALC LED is observed to go off when the power
drops.  The power output is a full 100 watts.  The fluctuation occurs
at any power level.  It occurs in both the tune position and if key
down in the CW mode.  I think it must be a new phenomenon since I
don't recall seeing it before; and it plays havoc with trying to tune
the linear amplifier (which I surely would have noticed).  No
difference with the linear turned off.

The ALC LED going off with each power dip must be a good clue to what
the problem might be.  But I'm "clueless".  I did a master reset with
not change.  I substituted another 13.8v, 30amp power supply with no change.

So, what's going on here?  Is a trip back to Tentec the only option?

Many thanks,
Torrey N9PY