Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:41:41 -0600
You know what's odd about this conversation (which I'm helping to extend
way beyond its useful life) is that TT gear has been designed this way
for many years, and lots of us have used their rigs with non-TT supplies
and had no problems at all.  Maybe we're just cautious and make sure
we're transmitting into a reasonably tuned load when full power is
applied, but I don't recall seeing zillions (or even dozens) of reports
of failed finals here as one can often read on other manufacturer's
reflectors on equipment which includes foldback designs.  I'm not sure
what is inherent in the design that allows decent power into mismatched
loads without frying the finals, but I appreciate the design point!  Just
a off-the-wall observation.

        73, Duane  (9 years with Omni VI+ and Orion, nonresonant
antennas, and zero final amp fails)