[TenTec] Orion II vs. OMNI V

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II vs. OMNI V
From: OTAKEBI@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:22:13 EST
The economy must be doing real good if that much money can be spent on a
hobby.
I have an OMNI V it has the green numbers and a 4 pin mike plug along with
an analog
S meter.
I like the numbers because they are large and can be seen from the other
side of the room and the 4 pin mike plug is preferred because I have less
wires
to burn my fingers with when I use my iron.
I still like the Drake style mike connector best of all since I  only have 3
wires to heat up and it was easy to plug in to the rig, no  turning, but you
can't have everything.
I love the red dot on my OMNI V.
My Corsair II has no dot.
It just says Corsair II.
The Corsair had a dot but it did not work well so they dropped it on  the
Corsair II but after much research and development they reintroduced a much
better working dot on the OMNI V.
I am sure you like the way the new dot works on your OMNI V as much as I
like the way it works on mine.
Hats off to Ten Tec IMHO for that improvement.
If you go to a Hamfest pick up some old QST's you will find great  reviews on
that
OMNI V.
Some of those old reviews will even sound better than the ones for the new
Orion II.
And, Don't forget to check out the retail price in some of the old OMNI  adds.
Hams back in those days were paying over two grand for those old OMNI V  when
they were
the talk of the town.
I had to wait a few years for Ten Tec to drop the price by introducing new
more improved rigs.
Again, hats off to Ten Tec for making Ham Radio affordable for the  rest of
us with that ploy.
Well, I am going back to working CW DX fellows that is until the FCC  drops
the requirement.
I will then be able to work the easier SSB mode without a guilt  trip.
But I won't take up reflector time with that subject since I have my  shrink,
who is a Ham,
and is working with me on that one.
Dan/N4VET