Re: [TenTec] Waiting on v.2?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Waiting on v.2?
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:19:10 GMT
Gee guys, it's not as the rig doesn't work the way it is.  My casual
contesting consists of turning the rig on and happily ignoring all those
fellow competetors a few KHz away.  Well, there was on W6 in the 10M contest
that was splattering 10 KHz away, but he just sounded like buckshot and was
a nuisance more than interference.  I did have to put the FREE high pass
filter between the rig and the ACOMM 2000 to keep it from faulting, but that
problem is totally gone now.  Any time I feel that the Orion could do
better, I turn on the TS940 sitting above it and ........that feeling goes
away.  I can't think of one contact I missed because of v. 1 firmware.

Now today I've spent the afternoon trying to set up a microwave link using
two Tranzeo TR6Rt units.  Again, I've been so close to getting them linked,
hit a default router address that matches something somewhere and the whole
thing went into flashing lights.  I may pay for another shipment back to
Canada to reset something.  Nothing wrong with the company, operator error
here.

I might ship the Orion back for a refit someday.  Jim, W0CY, had serial
number one of one of the early rigs.  Jim was an engineer totally capable of
tweaking that stuff, but took advantage of TenTec's great service.  I would
have bought the rig at his estate sale, but some young Novice needed a rig
and no one bid on it so he could get it cheap.  That's what this hobby is
all about: helping each other and hopefully quality equipment.

Sorry about the bandwidth, but a lot has been wasted on this reflector
already.  Merry Christmas all.  Santa may have some equipment to carry back
north on his return trip.

N0UU