[TenTec] Mic Extension Cable Doesn't Work

To: "tentec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mic Extension Cable Doesn't Work
From: "John Huffman" <hjohnc@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:49:00 -0500
I have a new Ten Tec 706 microphone that I'm using with my Pegasus.  It works
fine, no problems.

The cord is too short, so I bought an extension cable with a 4 pin female
connector on one end.  I wired a 4 pin male to the other end.  I connected the
extension cable to the Pegasus and the mike to the other end of the cable.

Audio works fine, but the PPT button and the VOX button on the microphone won't
go off.  You have to unplug the mike from the cable to get them to go off.  I
start with the buttons off, all is well. I push either button and it locks in
the on position.

I've checked the cable a dozen times.  Pin 1 goes to pin 1 and nowhere else.
Same for pins 2, 3, and 4.  None of the pins are connected to the shield of the
cable or the shells of the connectors.  None of the pins are shorting against
each other.

This even happens when I have the "Xmit Disable" button pushed on the N4PY
program, so no RF is causing the problem.

I'm guessing it may be a ground problem with the PTT circuit in the base of the
mike.  I've tried jumpering the shells at each end of the extension cable with
no luck.

I am at a loss to understand how extending 4 wires would cause the PTT to lock
on.

73 de NA8M
John