[TenTec] March of the Headphones

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] March of the Headphones
From: Hank Phillips <aa4hp@titustek.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:28:07 -0500
I was already into a replacement cycle for my old Sony MDR-V600s when
the flurry of postings on headphones hit the reflector.

Omitting the gory details, after all the credit card smoke cleared, I
ended up with my seven or so years old MDR-V600s, a new pair of
MDR-700s and a set of MDR-7506s, all of which have now been through
the pileup test.

I believe that ham radio, particularly in a filtered Tentec (I have a
fully tricked out Omni 6+), will never test the audio response
capabilities of a headset.  If you believe that also, you are left
with comfort and audio isolation as the true measure of the value of
your purchase.

The MDR-V700s are a tragically disappointing waste of money, with a
lot of emphasis placed on looks and fold-ability, with little other
performance features.  Sort of like Nike shoes -- you don't run any
faster, but you spend a lot of time looking at the shoes, until you
trip over something you weren't paying attention to.

The 7506s are 3db more comfortable with an equal amount of additional
audio isolation, at about 50 bucks less ..  your mileage may vary.

IMHO, the true winner is the old MDR-V600s, still available from some
outlets for around 75 bucks, or so I have been lead to believe.  They
have a nice deep and soft earcup which accommodates my big ears (the
ones on my head - not the Omni, Amp and antennas - which are large
also) with my glasses on, and can be worn for several hours
comfortably.  My only complaint is that those phones are shedding the
thin plastic coating over the foam, but they still work fine otherwise.

My complexion tends to be hard on headphones because of the oil
content, so others may get better life out of their sets.  My
dermatologist tells me that I will  look younger because of my oily
complexion.  I see no evidence to substantiate that claim, but I am
buying lard futures.

73,

Hank
AA4HP