[TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:23:22 -0500
AA6E wrote:

 >When operating QSK at 15-20 wpm, I am running into echoes of my
transmissions.  These occur on certain azimuth bearings at certain
times of day, most often to the SE, which is over water until hitting
S. Africa or Antarctica from here.  I've seen this from 20 M to 15 M,
at least.

         This has been used by some contesters for years
but I'm not sure who first reported it.  You rotate
your antenna while listening for maximum echo strength.
This indicates the best direction for backscatter QSO's
such as Europe via ESE before the direct NE path opens,
or Japan via WSW after the direct NW path closes.  I've
done this many times on 10 meters.

         It's also possible to hear moonbounce echoes if
you have a high gain antenna system, but the delay is
much more (~2.5 seconds) requiring slower CW speeds.
W0UN, K1ZZ and I have done this on 10 meters.

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/1999/0115/2/?nc=1

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV