Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone and back

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone and back
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:04:42 -1000
I got the Paragon working again. Here is what I found:

The 9V Ni-Cad battery is fine it measured about 9.3 VDC with no load. I
did not check it in circuit with the radio off and the power supply off
or disconnected. I suppose that may have been useful information,
however the problem does not seem to be with the battery. There IS a
warning label inside which says that an alkaline battery will likely
explode, and to use only a ni-cad.

No combination of powering the radio on/off, with the reset button
pushed or not pushed or the ni-cad battery disconnected or connected, or
disconnecting the DC power to the radio, would reset it's brain and get
it working. What did get it working was to turn off the power and unplug
the RAM-ROM-RTC Board (81360) from the LOGIC BOARD, and then plug it
back in. I did this with the 9V ni-cad out, but do not know whether that
is essential. I then turned the radio back on and pushed the RESET
button, and all is back to normal as long as I keep the rig turned on.
When reset the rig comes up on 7.335 LSB with the 2.4 filter. If I power
the radio down, it will be stuck again and require a repeat of this
operation before it works again. So for now it stays on. Apparently it
is not quite normal yet, but it is not dead either.

DE N6KB