Re: [TenTec] O2 Noise Reduction

To: Ron <ron@morell.us>,"tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 Noise Reduction
From: "root [knesbitt]" <knesbitt@nucleus.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:19:37 -0700
Ron wrote:

>Hello Kirb,
>I use the PRO II at the ARES station here in Washington County, Idaho (a
>very noisy location), and it is an excellent NB / NR receiver. I have the
>ORION II here at home and while I have not had the two rigs side by side, I
>must say the NR / NB / AN / NOTCH features on the ORION are also very good.
>Couple the noise reduction features of the ORION II with the DSP AGC system
>and it is the finest receiver I've ever used, period.
>
>Big difference in cost, size, and reported user satisfaction between the two
>radios, however.  The ORION II still has minor issues with software, i.e..
>it quits transmitting, the sweep turns off, etc.  Nothing to worry about,
>but seems to really bother some.  The ORION is about 90% bullet proof, the
>ICOM PRO II is 100% reliable in my experience with it.  The ICOM PRO II
>isn't as good a receiver, but it doesn't cost as much and it is very good.
>The PRO III is probably improved over the PRO II.
>
>I have to say, the ICOM PRO III will be the better value for the cost.  I
>would have trouble letting my ORION II go though, even for a PRO III and
>cash to boot.  HI.  So if money is no object, and you can deal with software
>developers, and love neat radios, buy the ORION II, if not, the ICOM PRO
>III.
>
>Big help, aren't I.
>Ron KA7U

Thanks for the quick input. Carl/Ron, my noise seems to be only "phased"
by the use of DSP NR. The blanker seems to have very little effect. Most
of my sources are wideband hash from switching supplies (LV lights)
running through-out the neighbourhood. The PRO2 DSP nr seems to be best
at cutting a hole in it however I am having some very encouraging
results using Linrad processing the audio output of one of my Omni's.
This software is really quite spectacular (once configured), however you
need to dedicate a seperate outboard PC running Linux.
It sounds like the O2 would be the equal to the PIII's NR however I
appreciate hearing others comments.
If, as I suspect, all elce being equal the O2's receiver performance
would likely make the decision for me. Initial software growing pains
don't concern me given the vast potential offerred by the equipment.

Cheers es 73!

Kirb,  VE6IV