Re: [TenTec] O2 Power

To: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>, <k3ndm@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 Power
From: "Barry LaZar" <k3ndm@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:42:08 -0500
Toby et al,
        OK, where do I start. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE ORION II. There
is a
lesson here: don't make adjustments when you are tired.

        I came home this evening and turned on the Orion II, attached the dummy
load, and disabled the antenna tuner. I next put the power meter into peak
read, turned off the speech processor, and set the mic gain to 50. Keyed the
transmitter and whistled up 100 watts. Changed the power meter to average
and whistled up about 20 watts. Turned on the speech processor, set it to 4,
and whistled up about 40 watts average. OK so far.
        Changed to user 1 which I use for digital and CW. Keyed the transmitter
using Digipan and almost nothing. Checked the computer, everything is fine.
Start going thru the menus and discover that I have set the audio in to both
mic and input gain to 3. Rekeyed the transmitter in the Digipan tune mode
and reset the audio in to AUX and gain to 20 for an output of 35 watts.
        The problem was two fold. The audio gains were both set wrong and the
sources were also. How that happened can only be explained by fatigue.
Trying to do too much, too late, I guess. I have a feeling that I may not be
the only sleepy ham who can't wait to rest before he finishes setting up his
new toy. Now to discover what other areas that need to be adjusted.
        Thanks to all who responded. Your input pointed me to where I needed to
look.

Vy 73,
Barry
K3NDM