Re: [TenTec] Anyone set up two Omni 6's to work split?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Anyone set up two Omni 6's to work split?
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:54:50 -0500
I'm certainly with you on this one. When I sold my Orion, I purchased
two Omni 6 Plus rigs and added the Inrad 600 Hz roofing filter and
swapped the Logic chip back to v1.01. Since I'm primarily a CW
operator, I believe one would be hard pressed to have a better CW
radio than the Plus rigs. I put my IC-781 on the desk occasionally,
but it makes me appreciate the Plus just that much more. All of my
rigs (which ever one is on the desk) drives a Titan 3. After getting
some initial manufacturing bugs out of the Titan 3, it is turning out
to be the same very strong workhorse as my old Titan 425.

Although I do a lot of contesting, I haven't tried SO2R yet, but
intend to get into it with the two Plus radios.

I understand some folks are willing to 'live' with the continuing
firmware (so called) minor bugs long after shelling out nearly four
thousand bucks for a radio, I'm just not one of them. The Orion did
not perform correct, firmware wise, since the very first shipment.
Today, years later, and a new version, it still does not perform
correct, due to firmware problems. Based on the history of the Orion,
until TT hires a professional software engineer, I personally do not
believe they will ever get it right.

Tommy - W4BQF