[TenTec] FS: Omni VI Complete INRAD audio mod kit

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] FS: Omni VI Complete INRAD audio mod kit
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:48:52 +0000
For Sale: The Complete INRAD audio modification kit for the Omni VI.

Price: $180 firm. This is an excellent price and is not negotiable. The kit cannot be split up into parts.

You get: 2.8 KHz INRAD xtal lattice filters for the 6 and 9 MHz IFs. Plus the INRAD Omni VI+ audio mod--passive components for both thru hole and surface mount and instructions. In addition, I am also throwing in free, two Mouser multi-turn trim pots (thru hole), one each to replace the stock single turn pots TT uses for carrier null on the tx audio board. While not always necessary, some find an adjustment with the multi-turn pots easier to perform.

Why the sale?
The passive components (i.e. not the filters) are unused. I had the filters in my Omni VI opt.3 for 3 years and pulled them out three days ago and replaced them with the TT 2.4 KHz filters. I had planned on doing the whole mod, but never got around to it, and purchased some other rigs I use on SSB, keeping the Omni VI for cw. Because I use it for cw only, I decided to put it back in its stock condition and sell the mod kit as a part of my shack clean out and also because I can use the cash (of course). The filters are in like new condition and come in their original boxes and wrappers.

What is this audio mod? What does it do?
There are two IF stages in the Omni VI at 6298.5 KHz and 9001.5 KHz. The 2.8 KHz filters for these stages allow for a wider frequency response on rx over stock, and when used in the 9 MHz IF, on tx as well, roughly from 150 hz to 2.9 KHz. When driving an accessory speaker, the audio is considered more pleasant to listen to for ssb ragchewing (for dx the TT 1.8 khz filters can be placed in adjacent slots). If you do not wish to transmit that wide a ssb signal you can use the 2.8 filter in the 6 MHz IF, and leave your stock filter in the 9 MHz IF, thereby limiting your tx bandwidth to 2.4 KHz and enjoying some of the benefit of the one wider filter on rx.
The filters are plug and play. You need two sizes of phillips screwdrivers and a small nut driver. You remove the bottom cover on the rig and the bottom shield cover inside. Pull the stock filters and replace them with the INRADS. You can either move the stock filters to empty slots if you have them or set them aside. Tip: If you set them aside, it's a good idea to label them to denote their appropritate IFs so if you ever put them back in, you will easily know which ones go with which IFs, as the TT filters themselves do not have any obvious markings on them to tell you their frequencies. The passive component mod involves some PCB component swaps.

There is more information on the INRAD filters and the Omni VI+ audio mod at: http://www.qth.com/inrad/ and look under Filters (Ten Tec filters no. 754 and 755) and Performance Enhancements (Ten Tec Omni VI Receive Audio Mod).

If purchased new, the total value of the kit would be $245 not including S and H.

Payment methods: Money order or personal check. If paying by personal check, you must wait until your check clears my bank before I ship. I accept only U.S. dollars.

How the deal works: When I receive your payment I immediately notify you by email that your payment has been received. If you pay by money order I will ship the mod kit that evening or the morning of the next business day. Unless you request another method I will ship via UPS ground. There is no charge for this if I am shipping to the U.S. or Canada. Other methods and/or shipping to destinations outside the U.S. and Canada will result in an additional charge. You must notify me of an alternate preference when you contact me to purchase. I will find out the cost and tell you so you can add that amount to your money order or check. If you pay by personal check I will notify you of its receipt and upon clearing, I will notify you of your purchase having been shipped. In both cases you will receive a tracking number if available. The sale of this kit is final. No refunds.

Contact information: http://www.qrz.com/K5UJ k5uj@hotmail.com

rob / k5uj