Re: [TenTec] Thanks for help on Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Thanks for help on Orion
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:26:18 EST

Hi Charlie. I agree,  I have a ts 2000 with als 600, a 746 pro with a  2kl
and at 500, and a scout with z 11 tuner,  in the shack and just  sold a  IC
756,
and have a ft 847 in the pick up, and an 857 d in both  cars. All that said..
I use the orion and the alpha 87a almost  exclusively.

I have the original orion and bought it used ( with tuner) about 8 months
ago, and I am still learning about it. I added the 1.8 TT filter and it is
perfect for me as I work about 70 % voice, 20% digital and 10% cw.  In a
crowded
band you can bring the BW down to about 2400 cycles, add about 6 db of
attenuation ( comes in before the IF) and all of the sudden the band is no
longer
crowded..

 ste the tx audio  ( menu / ssb/ txfilter bw 3300/ lf roll of  100) at about
3300 and the roll off at 100  and tx eq ( audio / tx eq -15  db)   and get
super  unsolicited audio reports.
 I run my orion into a  alpha 87 a  and with the orion with  no clicky relays
and the amp with no clicky relays, working a contest or rag  chewing is just
sitting in the shack and visiting, the radio and amp become  transparent in
use.  it is so nice not listening to relays when using vox..  any ways, you
will
find your self pretty much using the orion and nuttin  else..

good luck and enjoy. a beautifull thing

tom N6AJR

In a message dated 1/22/2006 11:00:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,