Re: [TenTec] Heil/Ten-Tec Studio One

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil/Ten-Tec Studio One
From: "ROBERT CARROLL" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:35:21 -0500
JT-

I just bought one used, but it hasn't arrived.  Something about the way
TenTec implemented the grounding of the microphone jack in the Orion causes
a lot of folks to have RF and 60HZ pickup problems with the Orion.  This is
something called the Pin 1 problem, which you can do a search for on the
internet.  I had a TenTec 706 mike and it works fine with my Orion, but the
cord is coiled and so short it is a PIA.  Back in NJ I bought a Radio Shack
mike used by other hams on other rigs, and it worked great.  Hearing myself
on the monitor a couple of days back here in Marietta I heard a terrible
gurgling which I could not get rid of.  I reattached the 706 and all was
well.  So the Orion did not like something about its new environment.  I
think audio-wise there is nothing about the mike customized to the Orion. It
is the way audio ground and chassis ground are handled at the connector and
in the mike element.  Lots of folks have used it with other rigs.  TenTec
has gone to the standard 8 pin mike jack on Orion II to get away from the
issue.

Bob W2WG