Re: [TenTec] TUNING, MATCHING, TUNERS

To: mgoins@mail.ev1.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TUNING, MATCHING, TUNERS
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:55:14 -1000
At my station I am the tuner. I tune the VFO (PLL Encoder) knob on my
Omni VI to the frequency I want to operate on. I tune the Pi-network in
my Titan 425. I tune the inductor and capacitor in my 238 L Network
impedance matching unit. The antenna radiates some of the power as RF
and some as heat. Some of the RF power gets reflected back through the
feedline towards the 238 matching network, which in turn may reflect
some of it back on the transmission line to the antenna again. Some of
the RF power gets dissipated as heat in the transmission line and in the
L network. I do not tune my antenna when I am operating. I tune my
matching unit for maximum power transfer to the antenna system. I have
an inverted L which is resonant on 160 meters. In order to make it
resonant I tuned it by trimming it's length. I cannot do that while I am
in that shack. I can use the 239 L network to tune the whole SYSTEM. To
tune the antenna I have to go outside and mess about with ropes and
pulleys and cut or splice wires. The L network in the shack cannot do
that. My antenna does not get tuned while I am operating. My antenna
SYSTEM does get tuned while operating.

DE N6KB