Re: [TenTec] Heil/Ten-Tec Studio One

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil/Ten-Tec Studio One
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:28:20 -0700

> The Studio One was discontinued two years ago.
>
> Your answer for the Orion is either our GM 5 GOLDLINE or the
> PR 20.  I prefer the GM 5 as it has TWO dynamic elements.

Heil makes some good products, but, of course he's interested in selling
whatever product is on dealer shelves.  Which I would be, too, if my estate
on Bora Bora depended on it :-)

I sold my own Studio One a while back.  Not because it isn't an excellent
mic (which it is), but because I standardized the entire station on
something else (PR-40, EQ, etc.) across multiple transmitters.

With an EQ, the "dual element" mics sort of become moot issues.  Heil seems
to be moving away from these, based on a current look at the website.  I
know I'm a minority of one on this, but the dual element mics with the HC-4
"DX" element, are truly the most offensive sounding mics I've had the
opportunity to listen to.  Maybe you'd find them effective, but everyone
else has to actually LISTEN to the god-awful things ... :-(

Grant/NQ5T