[TenTec] Computer Control of OMNI VI Opt.3-Help, Suggestions Please!!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Computer Control of OMNI VI Opt.3-Help, Suggestions Please!!
From: Arthur Bernstein <n2ka@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 02:10:19 -0500
Hello All,
Been away from the list for quite some and old Rip Van Winkle here has just
awakened. I'm looking to use my venerable OMNI VI Opt.3 with my computer to do
logging and rig control. The freeware program by N1MM has been highly
recommended to me. Any suggestions or warnings here?
In addition, I believe a serial cable is needed to interface the OMNI VI to the
computer. The OMNI has a female DB-25 and my computer has but just one male
DB-9 (luckily not being used.) From the wiring diagram at the rear of the OMNI
VI manual there appears 2 serial cable diagrams. One using a DB-25 and DB-9,
the other using 2 DB-25s. The wiring seems different. Not being knowledgeable
about these cables, I put together some cables to give myself a DB-9 female at
one end and a DB-25 Male at the other end. The pinout continuities do not match
what's in the manual. Does such a cable exist or do I have to fabricate one?
Any suggestions are welcomed.
I can use all the help I can get and I feel this will be a steep learning curve
for me. Maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into!
Again many thanks in advance.
73,
Art, N2KA
n2ka@optonline.net