Re: [TenTec] Request for check of Orion 1.3xx Behavior - AM

To: "'Ron Castro'" <ronc@sonic.net>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Request for check of Orion 1.3xx Behavior - AM
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:44:55 -0600
Ron ...

Thanks for that!

I did a crude version of the same (I don't have a spectrum analyser kind of
budget).  I found low end response to be very good all the way down to 20
Hz.  I took a single data point at -3dB relative to a 100% modulated carrier
at 1 Khz and estimated it around 3.4 Khz, which agrees pretty well with your
data.  It's good to see that the rolloff is fairly gentle above that.

He radio sounded just fine in my monitor receiver, but I was a little
bothered about that "6 Khz" note in the manual.  Doesn't sound like there's
too much reason to be concerned.  I normally run a little high mid-range
boost in my audio chain, so that likely helped, too.

I'm curious to know why the II/V2 no longer offers the adjustable transmit
frequency response like the 1.xxx versions did.   Maybe I'll pose the query
to T-T and see what kind of answer I get. The most likely one may be that
the response curve was  run wide open most of the time, anyway :-)

Regards .. Grant/NQ5T