Re: [TenTec] Orion (original) S-meter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion (original) S-meter
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:39:02 -0800
True enough about S-meters historically being a relative indication.  There
was a time in late 50's and early 60's when the "S-meter wars" started
between the manufacturers, mostly Hallicrafters and Hammerlund.  On each
successive model, they boosted the sensitivity so that if you did a
side-by-side comparison, the radio showing the highest reading would be
thought to be superior. The strategy worked for a while, until everybody got
wise!

I  think that was about the time that the S-9 = uV, and 6 dB per S-unit
standard got popular, and Collins stuck to it pretty rigorously.  They are
still known as having "Scotch" (as in 'tight-fisted') meters.

Obviously readings are relative since a receiver hooked to a dipole at 10'
will read far less than one connected to a 6 over 6 over 6 array on a 180'
tower.  The benefit of accurately calibrated meters are to help in antenna
comparisons, getting a "ball-park" on F/B ratios, relative conditions
between stations that talk on a regular basis (I do that on 75 all the
time), comparing two stations in nearby locations, etc.  Both my KWM-380 and
my TS-870 have S-meters that are remarkably accurate, although I determined
that the '380 uses a 5-dB/S-unit standard instead of 6.  The 870 has a
menu-selectable option that automatically changes the S-meter reading to
compensate for the preamp.

It would be nice to have readings that correlate to a known standard in the
Orion.

Ron
N6AHA