[TenTec] re Orion II ad in QST

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Orion II ad in QST
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:26:10 +0000
Well, I guess we know who's unhappy because he blew all his money on an Orion 2 and none is left over for a Contest.

I'm still washing the soap out of my hair from 2 years ago when I read the egregeously soft soap review QST accorded the Orion 1, when it was bugdom incarnate, floundering in a sea of daily fixes, which caused more problems than they fixed. QST conveniently overlooked this mostly, and gushed over the one thing they could rave about, the main rx specs because it had a narrower roofing filter, something that was analog and rf path specific and had nothing to do with firmware. It was almost as if they had forgotten they had a transceiver in front of them, with a tx and sub rx. Since this is the Ten Tec reflector and not the Yahoo FT9000 group, it seems to me that the review of the Contest review belongs over there.

rob / k5uj

<<<Nice ad in this months QST.

Also a review of the 9000 Contest, done in such a giddy tone you'd think it
had the ability to open a wormhole in the continuum, or that it could
effectively replace a Lamborgini as a babe magnet.  (The fact that it was a
bit buggy with certain firmware issues was barely mentioned in passing at
the end of the review).  Not to mention the fact that a high powered
flashlight and magnifying glass are apparently required to read many of the
control markings.

No doubt a nice radio, but I'm still trying to rinse all the soap from the
bubble machine out of my hair :-)

Grant/NQ5T>>>