Re: [TenTec] Newbie Orion questions

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Newbie Orion questions
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:46:01 -0600
> through the pages a few times), and they don't appear to
> adjust the way my old Kenwood's knob does, i.e., by holding
> the knob skirt stationary and turning the knob to adjust.

Randy ...

I was rereading your post after sending my first reply via the list, and
realized you tried the "hold the skirt and turn the knob" trick.  Ten-tec
seems to ships these things with the knobs pushed too far forward, leaving
them overly tight and without enough adjustment range.  My Orion arrived
that way, and so did the II.  I faced the same great mystery with the Orion
and had to ask the same question :-)

You'll find after you loosen the setscrew and fiddle with the knob's
position on the shaft that it gets stiffer as you press further toward the
panel.  Do the gross adjustment that way, tighten the screw, and then the
skirt/knob method will give you finer adjustment to get it where you want.
It's sort of trial and error, but not rocket science.

A TIP:  When you pull the rubber cover off to get to the setscrew, take note
of the position of the small rubber ring that fills the gap on the face of
the knob.  It can fall out unnoticed if you're not paying attention.

Grant/NQ5T