Re: [TenTec] QST Ad

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QST Ad
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:01:17 -0600
I find that most published reviews are basically "vanilla" in content.  In
most instances the reviewer is unfamiliar with the equipment and most often
takes the "lab approach" to confirm that the published specs are indeed
about accurate or not.  I've rarely seen specs which are seriously refuted.
In most cases there is determined to be a fault in the equipment where great
deviations exist.

It is a marketing nightmare in an effort to be first to the market to launch
a new such and such.  Also, the manufacturers want favorable reviews
primarily to initiate sales to offset development costs.  Advertising today
is big bucks both to the seller and the publisher.  A consistent track
record of unfavorable reviews will spell doom for a manufacturer and they
will then abstain from submitting equipment for review to that publication.
On the other hand, some publishers will buy equipment to review, do the
vanilla review and publish the results to glean more advertising dollars.

As to reviews in general, I try to take and place more emphasis on what is
not said as opposed to what is said.  That requires some careful reading and
research.  And then there are those areas that are purely subjective.  The
new breed of radios has a lot of depth in this area and I view it
impractical to try to evaluate and describe such domains.  Each user will
have to roll their own in this arena.  Yes, it may be an expensive roll, but
to be first one has to pay the big bucks and take a chance that the
manufacturer will and does stand behind what they have designed, built and
sold.  I think that we have seen e-mail exchanges here on the Tentec
reflector indicating that Tentec took some serious steps to solve a specific
AM broadcast IM issue.  Cruising the other reflectors as I do, I haven't
seen the President of those companies in a personal communication with a
customer.  I think that says more about a company's culture than any review
or advertising will ever accomplish.

73
Bob, K4TAX