[TenTec] W2IHY 8 band equalizer with V2 for Orion I

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] W2IHY 8 band equalizer with V2 for Orion I
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:55:40 -0500
I have been playing with the new firmware version with the Orion I. I use
the W2IHY box with a Studio One mic (even the Kenwood 870 guys compliment
the audio of the Orion). In the past, I had the mic gain set at 60 and used
Julius's suggested settings for the W2IHY box when used with the Studio One.
This included setting the rig's TX EQ to -6.

What I am finding, listening through a seperate receiver, is that the TX EQ
is changed with the new firmware. Instead of -6, I have to set the TX EQ to
+6 or so and keep the W2IHY box with the same settings. I think it still
does not sound as good, but probably will need to change the W2IHY box to
make it match again; but it is close (plus it is hard for me to tell in my
external receiver).

I also noticed that I do have to reduce the mic gain (to about 30), but
maybe not as much as I originally thought. I think the audio is sounding
distorted if you listen in the monitor. But on the external receiver, it
sounds ok. There is still some kind of artifacts ever now and then. I am
still playing and not sure exactly when it happens. The monitor now allows
you to listen to the transmit audio without having to turn up the AF gain as
much, but the quality has changed slightly; maybe not a true reflection of
what is actually going out over the air (as before).

Has anyone else with the W2IHY box using the Studio One have any suggestions
on setting changes (including the w2ihy slide levels, mic gain, TX EQ, etc)
with the new firmware release?

Thanks to Ten Tec for a great rig and their great support. And of course the
fellow Ten Tec fans who help each other on this board.

Mark KA4ICK