Re: [TenTec] O2 Tx Audio

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 Tx Audio
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:08:04 -0600
> I get many compliments on my transmit audio as well.
> I use the stock Ten Tec mike, the 706A with stock settings.
> I am quite pleased with it.

I found I had to re-EQ the radio and tweak the audio chain slightly from
where things were set on my Orion, but can't say the audio doesn't sound
"robust".  I feed mic audio through a processor into the AUX input.  (Could
there be a difference with the mic input?)  Using recorded audio from a
second receiver (Drake R-7, 4 Khz passband) it sounds pretty good, with no
sense of "thin", "non-robust", or distorted audio.

My definition of a "non-robust" male voice would be a weak first formant,
which is maybe in the 200-700 Hz range (depending on the vowel, voice
characteristic, etc.), relative to everything else.  Same sort of effect
you'd get listening to another otherwise good sounding station with the low
end of the receive passband slid way up.  Could be there's a response issue
somewhere in the chain.  I ended up with a small negative TX EQ value (used
to be -14, now -8), meaning more low end relative to high end, and more
midrange and a little more on the upper end cranked in in the audio side of
things.  All of these things interact, so it's hard to draw any conlusions
from that without really measuring the TX audio characteristic under some
known constant set of conditions.

Grant/NQ5T