Re: [TenTec] Orion 2.055 Observations

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2.055 Observations
From: "R. Brent Zook" <brent.zook@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:41:34 -0500
The new 2.0 firmware implementation in the Orion just hasn't done it for
me.  I would like to see comments on the following issues (to see if I
am correct or just plain wrong), because I don't want to believe what I
am seeing.

First - the noise reduction in 1.372 (and maybe 1.371) actually reduces
the noise as seen on the S-meter.  Version 2.055 does not do so.  Does
this mean that the noise reduction is done at audio, just like adding an
audio dsp processor?  No wonder the noise reduction in 2.0 doesn't seem
to make it easier to copy signals - the noise would still mask the
signal even if you can't hear the noise.

Second - same for the automatic notch.  If there is an s-9 carrier near
frequency, the auto notch on 2.055 will remove the sound of the carrier,
and will do so quickly, but the carrier still appears on the s-meter.
Doesn't this mean that the carrier will still mask other signals?  In
1.372, it takes longer to get rid of the carrier, but it actually goes
away, and you can then copy other signals.

Third -- I don't know about the action of the manual notch as I have
taken 2.0 off of my Orion and hadn't tried it yet.

Fourth - The audio problems on transmit and receive that have been
discussed ad nauseum on the reflector.  I got the Orion to replace my
TS-870, and can't go back to a rig that doesn't sound good.

The ability in 1.372 to use auto notch, noise reduction, and manual
notch at the same time, and to have the functions perform at IF to
actually remove noise as opposed to covering it up was one of the
incredible things about the original Orion.  I hope those functions
aren't lost for good in the new firmware releases.  --Brent N9HZ