Re: [TenTec] bandpass IF filters for OmniVI - technical question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bandpass IF filters for OmniVI - technical question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:03:56 -1000
Hi Alan,

I think your idea of changing the characteristic of a single filter with
some kind of switched in/out components has some merit.

I would like to have more filter options in the 9MHz IF. I have not
tried Inrad's roofing filter add on. Some people have reported that they
like it. I object to placing a narrow filter before the noise blanker.

What I would like to see is a whole new 9MHz Mixer/IF Board (or
sometimes called  9MHz Filter Board in Ten-Tec manuals) with room for
three or four narrow option filters. There might be a big enough market
for this to at least break even. I think everyone with an Omni VI of any
flavor (version 1, 2, 3 or Plus) would want one. That board is not very
big or complicated. It could be marketed as a kit, similar to QRP rig
kits that are so common and successful these days. Some method of using
the five buttons and five LEDs on the Omni VI to select and display
which 9MHz filters and 6.3 MHz filters are in use would have to be
devised. Maybe dual color LEDs, four BW selection buttons and one 9/6.3
"shift" button. Probably some minor modifications would also be required
to the PBT (6.3 MHz IF) board, as was needed when the version 3 and Plus
lost the "2.4" button to get a second "N" button.

DE N6KB