[TenTec] observations of my Orion with V 1.372

To: "Ten Tec" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] observations of my Orion with V 1.372
From: "Joseph Trombino Jr" <w2kj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:36:50 -0500
Been playing around with the tap settings on my Orion and note the
following:

At 199 taps the DSP filters appear to be at their sharpest but the noise
floor is substantially raised.....switching the NR in and out doesn't seem
to have much effect.  I conducted the test on 40m

Using the tap setting at 32 substantially lowered the noise floor and made
for much more pleasant listening.  Switching the NR in and out made a large
difference in hearing the signal....the signal rose up out of the noise
floor and copy was much better with the NR turned on (taps at 32).

Tried the new firmware but didn't like the way the S meter worked vis-a-vis
the RF gain control.....V 1.327 is much better in that regard....at least to
my operating preferences.

Just some observations....now to install the Inrad 600hz filter in place of
the Ten Tec 500hz filter and see how that plays.

BTW:  I've had this Orion for over a year now and it is the best CW machine
I have ever used (I had an OMNI VI/3 for nine years before getting the
Orion).

                                    73, Joe W2KJ
                                    North Carolina