[TenTec] Observatons

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Observatons
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:28:43 -0600
I am sort of amazed at all the comments about the new firmware.   From reading
these, you'd come to the conslusion that the new version is not the way to go -
my experience with the new firmware has been VERY different...  I have loved my
Orion for the receiver I but have always added caveats when recommending it due
to the instabilities - the worst being loss of audio in the subreceiver at the
worst possible times.    With the new version, the sweep works and I have yet
to need a reboot despite very heavy usage since the update.

Weak signal 160M work is my principle winter love and I would swear, if
anything, the new firmware is better with weak signals.    I'm not a fan of the
old style S-meter backing off with threshold but can live with that.    NR
seems quite effective to me - now it gives me more control over the
aggressiveness level than before.   I mostly prefer to control those parameters
myself but sometimes use NR.    Comments about the audio notch performance not
being as good and not affecting the S-meter do seem justified.    QSK and
amplifier keying are working perfectly here with the new version.   I had some
of the same artifacts trying to use the monitor on SSB but the actual transmit
audio sounds super good to me using a separate receiver.  And now, the
compression level adjustment really seems to do something and is well behaved.

I would *NEVER* go back to the old firmware myself!

Tom N5TW