Re: [TenTec] Filter Tap settings / NR etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Filter Tap settings / NR etc.
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:00:51 EST

In a message dated 3/6/2006 10:24:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,  ron@morell.us
writes:

The NR  function is supposed to determine the signal level in the noise and
then  adjust the DSP filter to accentuate the signal through this noise.
Once the  determination is made by the NR logic, then adjusting the level
from 1 to 9  has no further effect on the currently "captured" or determined
signal and  the NR setting.  The 1 to 9 setting only determines the time it
takes  for the NR logic to make its sampling of the signal and resolve it  or
conclude what it is and adjust

That is the description in the Orion I manual and it is the way the NR
worked up through 1.371.  After 1.371, the NR started to work like in other
radios
- ineffective and the higher you turned the number, the more the NR  kicked
in until you got distortion.  Unfortunately, you get distortion  before you
hear any noise reduction.

I realize I only have an Orion I to play with but I think this part is
common to both radios.

K4ia  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA