Re: [TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:02:29 -0600

>          Grant, I don't believe the 331A is True RMS.
>          I cannot find anything on Google to confirm that the
> 331A isn't True RMS, but that's what I recall.

You're correct.  I had to dig around and find my spec sheet.  Live and learn
:-)

It is RMS, calibrated to a sine wave.

>          Let's just think about your conclusion.
> 8-10 dB S/N improvement over the 100 Hz DSP BW implies a
> 10-15 Hz filter bandwidth

I understand that, and appreciate it.  The fact remains, there does appear
to be further improvement in SNNR with NR engaged, even at narrow
bandwidths.

Perhaps someone with better lab resources will poke around at this stuff,
too.  In the meantime, I'm going to go shopping for a 339A or something
similar :-)

Grant/NQ5T