[TenTec] Speaking of Headphones (Orion)

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Speaking of Headphones (Orion)
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:12:12 -0800
I noticed that when I unplugged the headphones from my O2 that the speaker
volume was quite loud and had to be turned down.  After doing some research, I
learned that the Orion's headphone output is maximized at 8 Ohms, but my Heil
headphones were actually 200 Ohms.  To check my theory, I plugged in a set of
Sennheiser HD202 32-Ohm phones, and the headphone volume got a lot louder, and
now when I unplug the phones, I don't have to change the volume setting.  Also,
Mon volume is much louder, Sidetone needed to be turned down from about 60 to
40, and the Spot volume is very loud!

Anyone know how (or if) the Spot volume can be reduced?

Also, does anyone know where to get a pair of 200 Ohm to 8 Ohm transformers
cheap?  I'm thinking of using the Rat-Shack 600 CT to 8 Ohm transformer, but
just putting the phones across the CT and one end.  That should transform the
Heils down to around 5.3 Ohms, which is plenty close enough.

Ron N6AHA