Re: [TenTec] Orion Sub Receiver BW

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Sub Receiver BW
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:59:33 -0500
Besides, the DSP workload happens in the DSP (Sharc) processors, not
the Dragonball control processor.  So, fancy filtering, NR, etc.
should not impact the user control response, at least to first order.
The sweep is the only function where actual receive data (from DSP
land) ends up on the LCD (via Dragonball), apart from the SubRx
S-meter.

If you measure the receiver delay, you will see the effect of changing
the DSP "workload" as you change the number of filter taps.   This
delay is one factor limiting QSK performance, for example.  My tests
on the Orion (1.372) show the delay is 14 ms at 199 taps, and 8 ms at
32 taps for CW and SSB modes.

There should be a lot of unused Dragonball CPU power on the O 2,
especially, that could be used for signal analysis, modulation
monitors, and what have you.  All you need is software developer time
-- but that's a scarce commodity. (Another argument for an open source
development program?)

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com - Ask me if you'd like a free Google Mail account
http://blog.aa6e.net