Re: [TenTec] Pegasus mic input is Hi-Z, unbalanced!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pegasus mic input is Hi-Z, unbalanced!
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:14:08 -0500
Taking a very simple, experimental approach first, I fed the output of
my audio chain (Neumann BCM-705 mike & Ashly DPX-200 pre-amp/parametric
EQ/compressor/limiter) directly into the Accessory audio (line level)
input of my Pegasus.  The result was acceptable.  I then fed the chain
into the Accessory audio input through a Whirlwind L'il Imp matchiung
transformer.  The result -- after backing off the pre-amp's input gain
by a factor of about 30 dB --  was the same.  A liberal sprinkling of
snap-on ferrite beads on all the interconnecting cables, plus a 1/4 wave
radial on the ground post attenuated RF contamination.

In truth, however, the "unmedicated" Ten Tec 705 electret mike fed
directly into the Pegasus mike jack probably sounds as good or better on
sideband.  I'll check into the Sunday net and demonstrate with an A-B
comparison.  I'll be interested in your reactions.

Thanks for all the feedback, impassioned and otherwise.  I'll keep
playing with this.  It's fun.

73,

Craig
W3CRR