Re: [TenTec] A Look at NR

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A Look at NR
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:49:54 -0800
At the end of the day, it *is* a subjective test that determines which one
is better, and even then, different conditions will yield different results.
If possible, the test should be done in conditions that don't change, such
as a ground-wave signal and noise that stays put, like from a cheap light
dimmer.  That way, things won't change in the few minutes it takes to reload
the firmware.

I wonder if TT can lift any of the old code.  The ads say that the code was
completely re-written for the new processors, then I guess chunks of the new
code were re-written again for the old one!  I think the overall goal was to
satisfy the complaints from early Orion owners that certain functions ran
slow or screwed up due to processor overload, and that the radio crashed on
occasion.  Also, they wanted the O1 and O2 to not have wild differences
between them. In the process, though, the baby might have been thrown out
with the bathwater.

Maybe Ten Tec is listening!  I hope....

Ron N6AHA