Re: [TenTec] OII Audio testing/optimization

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII Audio testing/optimization
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:19:00 -0800
To measure frequency response of a system, the gain must be held stable,
otherwise, the ALC would make every tone fed into the mic connector show
exactly the same output power.  That's what it's supposed to do.  In
broadcast stations, the processors usually have "Proof" ("Proof of
Performance") switches on them to disable all AGC and limiter action so that
the true frequency response can be measured.  There is no such switch on
most ham equipment, so the trick is to lower the input from the audio
oscillator so the output is well below the ALC range.

That works great in analog rigs, but digital can be a different matter.  The
Orion is designed to be relatively "goof-proof" as far as audio input levels
are concerned, and the radio seems to "hunt" for levels and change them,
even when they are very low.

Ron N6AHA