Re: [TenTec] chirp in Omni 6 plus

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] chirp in Omni 6 plus
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:37:50 -0800
Hi Jamie -

My usual advice :-)  check the archives for this topic.  There were
many, many posts about it around 5 years ago as I recall.

In a nutshell, the discussions also began to be called "microchirp"
because some fellows heard a quick, tiny frequency (or phase) shift at
the leading edge of the CW note, some fellows seem to not notice and
are pleased with the note.  One fellow did a whole lot of research and
modification to his OMNI VI plus to get the note just right.  Some
others got a wider main SSB filter on the theory that the "knee" of the
wider filter allowed the transmitted carrier more room and made less
"chirp."  There is also an adjustment on the OMNI VI for how
aggressively the CW note comes on (check the manual).

If you lived close to me (coastal CA, near San Luis Obispo), I'd loan
you a 2.8 KHz filter to see if it had any effect.  That would be my
second task (first would be the CW note adjustment).

Clark
WA3JPG