Re: [TenTec] Problem: Please confirm Orion II Radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem: Please confirm Orion II Radios
From: "Richard Williams" <richardw@mho.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:55:06 -0600
Same problem here.  Must be a "BUG"!!    Makes one wonder how many other
bugs there are like this.  Maybe some "mathmatician amateur" can come with
the total number of possible combinations that can be tried with the
aforementioned knobs/buttons/switches.

 Only time will tell as guys try turning on/off or "fiddling" with the 72
knobs and buttons on the front of the radio in different sequences, orders
and settings.

Just a side note;  I am a retired airline pilot and flew a "software
defined" airplane (was assembled in France).  It would  have been great if
the software in the airplane had/has as few "bugs" as the Orion.   When I
retired, the flight manual had a section called "anomalies"; just 15 pages
worth.   Some as mondane as an "audible pop" in your headset when switching
power sources, or distortion when transmitting on the VHF radio(s) above 130
MHz.
Others would get your attention faster than "a wardrobe malfunction".   By
the way,  the "fix" for the distortion problem is to clip the headset cord
to your uniform epaulet, and not to the window frame.

Dick K8ZTT