Re: [TenTec] The Bug

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Bug
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:50:31 -0700
The Orions use the Analog Devices SSM2166 as a mic preamp and AGC, which can
be driven with inputs of up to 1,000 mV with distortion of just over 1%, so
it would be very hard to cause distortion in the first stage of audio unless
a high-level output was used to drive the mic input.  See the charts at:

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/83095497SSM2166_b_.pdf

Also, there is a gain control at the mic input, located on the underside of
the case, just behind the mic connector.

I agree with Carl that the best audio can be achieved with the ALC just
starting to flash, however I have found that going far beyond that point
does not create a lot more distortion.  The "problem" O2's that were tested
on air used various levels of input audio, and they sounded just as bad to
my ears.  The rest seem to sound good no matter how the input levels are
set.

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC