Re: [TenTec] "The Bug" a/k/a Orion II Audio

To: <na9u@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "The Bug" a/k/a Orion II Audio
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:29:15 -0700
There is nothing "subjective" about the graph on my website outlining the
deviation from factory specifications in the low frequency audio response,
and there is no denying that there are some O2's that got out of the factory
with a serious defect in the audio, like that I heard on the O2 owned by
Ron, N9AU and at least one other.

There are a host of problems that the V2 software introduced, however it
does not seem to me that they are insurmountable problems, and when TT fixes
them, this will be the best radio on the market, regardless of price.
According to one report, TT hasn't been too inclined to fix the problems
since the radio was getting "rave reviews".  TT reads this reflector, and
hopefully they will get the message that there is still work to be done.

For a quick review, here are the problems they need to look at:

       * Audio problem that was apparently caused by a change in the DSP
from a filter method to the "Weaver Phase Difference" method.

       * Automatic and Manual notch that does not reduce the AGC after the
carrier is removed.

       * Noise reduction that does not work as well as v. 1 (I never had a
v. 1 to compare so I take this on the advice of those who have)

        * Totally inaccurate S-meter that is low by at least two S-Units
below S-9 and up to 22 dB too high above S-9.  Reading should be
automatically compensated for preamp or attenuator.

        * Funny "clicking" sound in CW Sidetone monitor.

        * RF getting into radio via headphones wire (hardware mod needed).

I know that TT can fix these problems, and I know it will take time and
feedback from all of us, which is exactly why we continue to air these
problems on the list.

Ron N6AHA