Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:19:48 -0400
John,  Here is an explanation of why your RX EQ does not behave as it did in
V1 O1,  for better of worse in the 2.0 firmware for both orions the RX EQ
acts like a volume control.

There is a good description of the actual operation on pages 18 and 19 of
the manual. It does not operate as the usual bass and treble controls
everyone is familiar with in hi-fi amplifiers. There is no set frequency
around which they hinge to provide increased/decreased levels. So, if you
are listening to SSB with the bandwidth set to 3kHz, setting the equalizer
to -20 will reduce the level at approximately 100Hz by about 20dB and change
the level at 3kHz by approximately -10dB. This will give you the impression
that the volume has been turned down, and it has. Now increase the volume
control and you should notice increased high frequency response and reduced
bass. This is the solution to using one control and menu selection and
adjusting both high and low frequency. This has been set in the software to
operate over approximately 100Hz to 6kHz. For receive and transmit, this is
independent of the bandwidth selected with filters. For example, if you have
selected -20dB, you will have 20dB difference from 100Hz to 6kHz. If you are
using a BW of 3000, then you get 10dB difference over the selected
bandwidth, BW of 1000, then you get 3.33dB difference over the selected
bandwidth. Now if the bandwidth is set to the low frequencies as you set the
EQ from -20 to +20 you would notice a pronounced increase/decrease in gain.