Re: [TenTec] [Orion] [orion565] new firmware

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>,<orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] [orion565] new firmware
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:25:52 -0500
> That's good to know...I'll add that to my list of "Things to
> Fix" on my website.

I rechecked it after doing the usual resets, and it still doesn't work, so
it's a fair assumption that it's broken in 2.03x, although interestingly I
saw a post that said it works ok in 2.056.  And of course, the rest of the
big list hasn't really been tackled yet either.  I see a lot of "twiddling"
going on, and no real fixes.  Maybe the only "fix" is to produce a v1
software/DSP load that works on the Orion II.  That would be, in most ways,
a REAL "fix" :-)

One of the things I rechecked is the funky BW control on the sub receiver.
It still works like a bandpass filter centered at 1500 Hz above the carrier
frequency instead of a bandwidth control.  I keep hoping someone can tell me
that there's a perfectly logical reason for that, but I suspect that isn't
going to happen.  Actually, I'll send a crisp, new $20.00 bill, post paid,
to the first person that can convince me that it makes perfectly good sense,
AND demonstrate why, with examples :-)

When the Orion first came out, I was a supporter to the point that I (along
with others) was labeled a member of the "Ten-Tec Cult".  But this whole
affair with the II (which is 90% terrific and 10% "what the cr*p were they
thinkin' ") is making me more gnarly by the day.

Grant/NQ5T