[TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??
From: Mike Gorniak <mgorniak@genesiswireless.us>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 08:55:00 -0500
The amazing thing to me is how well my Orion (Original) works on AM, as well as
contest and DX SSB. Truly superb in all of these categories. The CW folks seem
happy as well.

A lot of people love those old AM rigs for a lot of different reasons that
don't relate exclusively to their audio performance.

With specific reference to AM performance, I think some of the rehabbed
broadcast transmitters have a decided performance edge
here, but not as much as you might expect. With suitable broadcast style
external processing, I have run music through my Orion (into a dummy load, of
course!) and found that the audio, as heard through
a typical receiver IF stage, is just about as loud and clean as the latest
generation Harris 50 kw broadcast transmitters. (yes, I know that wider
bandwidth receivers will start to reveal significant differences.) Used in
amateur service, with only the human voice for modulation, the differences
diminish considerably.

So, take your pick. The Orion shines as a Contest, DX, CW And AM machine, IMHO.

73,

Mike, NM7X