Re: [TenTec] Orion v2.056 PSK question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion v2.056 PSK question
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 22:39:40 -0400
What audio frequency were you using?  I normally (Orion, 1.372) set TX EQ to
zero, SSB Tx filter to 3000, and SSB LF Rolloff to 50 Hz.  You're only
transmitting on a narrow audio band, but I would say you want as flat a
response as possible, since you might use any freq. between 100 and 3000
Hz.  I don't see why you should see a decrease of power when flattening the
response. (Hope there's no RF feedback or 60 Hz on the audio.) I agree that
40-50 watts indicated on the meter is about optimum for IMD.

Of course, you need the SP off.

73 Martin AA6E

On 5/7/06, Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com> wrote:

> Brand new (one day) to this mode--or in fact any digital mode but
> CW.  Using PSK31 Deluxe and a SignaLink SL-1+.  Am receiving signals
> fine it seems.  Have sound card output (HP laptop) at about 70%.  Aux
> Input Gain at 80 in SSB menu.  I'm really puzzled about the TX EQ
> setting though.  The Orion manual suggests a setting of -14db.  This
> setting alone changes the output more than anything else.  If I move
> it to a setting of "0"  power drops to 5w output.  (PWR is set at
> 100) As I adjust the setting to -14db, the power increases to 35w and
> will rise to 75w if I move it  further.  If I look at the manual,
> this seems rather counter intuitive.
>
> Thoughts or guidance pse??
>
> Gary W7TEA

martin.ewing@gmail.com - AA6E@arrl.net
President, Yale University Amateur Radio Club - W1YU
http://blog.aa6e.net